How to Prevent Yellow Teeth
Several factors contribute towards the yellowing of your teeth, such as diet, genetics and lifestyle habits. Yellow teeth can make you shy away from smiling in public. The good news is that there are several effective treatments available to whiten teeth. Northgate Dental Centre provides expert and affordable teeth whitening services to improve your smile. Our office has a child-friendly environment for efficient family dentistry services.
What Causes Yellow Teeth
Start by evaluating your eating and oral care habits to whiten your stained teeth. The major factors that cause yellow teeth are:
- Food Items Which Are High in Tannins -Tannins are naturally occurring plant-based compounds that make it easier for stains to stick to teeth. They are mostly found in beverages such as tea, coffee, soda and red wine. You should try to avoid them for a bright, healthy smile.
- Smoking - Smoking causes yellow teeth, and the stains are difficult to remove. Practice proper oral care routine and use the right teeth whitening products to remove such stains.
- Illness - Certain medications such as chemotherapy for neck and head cancer can contribute towards the yellowing of teeth. Some of the prescription medications for asthma and high blood pressure also cause yellow teeth.
- Poor Oral Hygiene – If you don’t practice proper oral hygiene, saliva, food and fluids combine to produce bacteria deposits that collect on the teeth. The deposit is extremely sticky, colourless or pale yellow biofilm called plaque. When you don’t remove plaque regularly, it hardens and turns into tartar. Tartar is yellow or brown and firmly bonded to the tooth enamel. Not getting it removed by the dentist leads to cavities.
- Excessive Fluoride Exposure – Several foods and drinking water has small amounts of fluoride. However, contaminated water has high levels of fluoride which causes discoloured and pitted tooth enamel.
How to Whiten Yellow Teeth
There are several teeth whitening options to choose from for yellow teeth. The commonly used teeth whitening options are:
- Professional Teeth Whitening – Dentists carry out this process at their clinic. A bleaching agent is applied to the teeth, and special lights or lasers are used to enhance the effect of the bleach. You might be asked to come for more than one session, depending on the severity of your problem.
- Over-the-Counter Whitening Strips and Gels – These contain peroxide-based compounds that give instant results.
Daily habits, such as drinking coffee and smoking, are the causes of yellow teeth. Brushing teeth twice daily, along with flossing and using a mouthwash, can help whiten teeth. Visit your family dentists every six months for teeth cleaning and preventive checkups.